HOME, SYNOPSIS, SITE DIRECTORIES AMENDMENT BLOG FORUM GLOSSARY TESTIMONIALS FREE NEWSLETTER CONTACT JOIN PFMPE™

mathematically perfected economy™ (MPE™)    1  :   the singular integral solution of  1) inflation and deflation,  2) systemic manipulation of the cost or value of money or property, and  3) inherent, artificial multiplication of debt into terminal systemic failure;    2  :  every prospective debtor's right to issue legitimate promises to pay, free of extrinsic manipulation, adulteration, or exploitation of those promises, or the natural opportunity to make good on them;    3  :  our right to certify, to enforce, and to monetize industry and commerce by this one sustaining and truly economic process.

MORPHALLAXIS, January 14, 1979.

Mathematically Perfected Economy™ FORUMS, DISCUSSION

Forum rules

Posts must be polite, constructive, and on topic. No unsupported claims, no unqualified assertions. Spam is reported to the offending IP, with loss of posting privileges. You may post links to *related*, constructive material meeting these standards only.

Print view Previous topic | Next topic
 Post subject: Here We Go Steelers
PostPosted: 31 Jan 2009, 1:17 pm 

Here We Go Steelers

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Here We Go Steelers
PostPosted: 31 Jan 2009, 5:38 pm 
Site Admin

Hey, so you aren't going to the game?

mike

"When the freedom they wished for most was the freedom from responsibility, then Athens ceased to be free, and never was free again."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2009, 10:14 pm 

Quote:
Mike said:

Hey, so you aren't going to the game?

The best way to see a football game is to be there. You just cannot see the down-field coverage or the line-play through the lens of a TV camera (which must follow the ball). That's why I go to most of the games and own season tickets.

If you own season tickets, you are eligible to enter the Superbowl lottery, which means that some season ticket holders will get Superbowl tickets. I lost this time.

Of course I can get scalped for tickets (cheap seats are selling for $4,000) but it is after all the Superbowl, and maybe best to watch with a gaggle friends and relatives.

Ok, on to the game and a quick prediction. The 'Cards must score first, and most of it must done by passing. If the Steelers get an early lead, they will control the clock and win the game by using their resurgent running game.

If the Cards get the lead in the first half, we will have a game. Look for second half take-aways by the Steeler "D" and look for Ben Roethlisberger to grab the game by it's throat.

Steeler Nation

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2009, 10:50 pm 
Site Admin

Nothing like having your home team go to the big one. No bad teams get there. I wouldn't sell the Cards short, but I wouldn't care to dampen the enthusiasm of a home team fan either. I had my days in the Joe Montana era. From the first game I watched to that pass to Dwight Clark, and on from there, it was just tremendous. Everybody should have a chance to taste that. I'll hope it's a great game, that both teams play their best with few mistakes. I'll be thinking of you tomorrow.

mike

"When the freedom they wished for most was the freedom from responsibility, then Athens ceased to be free, and never was free again."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2009, 11:26 am 

Joe Montana was without a doubt, one of the best QBs of all time. His ability to excel under pressure is legendary. I read a story that makes this point in an interesting way. I forget the game, but it was a big one and the 49'rs were losing late in the 4th quarter. The had bad field position and it looked like all was lost.

The player telling the story said that during a commercial break, the players were in the huddle waiting for the next play to be sent in - and they were all very nervous. The player looked at Joe Montana who was staring at something in the stands. The player said he was a bit angry, why wasn't Joe's head in the game! The player, in front of the others asked what the hell Joe was looking at - Joe softly replied that he thought he saw John Bulishi (I am not certain that it was Bulushi).

The player in later telling the story said that Joe was so calm and cool that it was infectious. He said that when Joe calmly made his observation, everyone in the huddle instantly relaxed.

Oh, btw, Joe Montana is from the Pittsburgh area. He was very much liked and admired here through-out his phenomenal career. Like most ardent Steelers fans, I am an nfl fan too. There are many players and teams that I like a lot and some that I hate. The 49rs were one of the teams that I loved and enjoyed.

You won't hurt my feelings or spoil my karma if you think the Cardinals will win today. If I am watching a game between two neutral teams, I almost always prefer the underdog. If the Ravens were playing the Cardinals, I'd dam sure be rooting for the Cards.

Proverbial superbowl logic holds that defense wins the big game and there are many statistics to support this. The steelers simply have the best defense - in fact I would say this is the best defense in at least the past 30 years in the NFL. They make defense more exciting than any offense because of their talent and brilliant coaching. Most Steelers fans like defense more than offense - hard to explain, its always been this way for reasons I don't really understand. Dick LeBeau (steelers defense coordinator) is the best defensive mind I have ever witnessed (forget bud carson or buddy ryan, they couldn't hold a candle to LeBeau).

I am really glad that they are going to be tested by what I think is the best passing attack in the NFL. This is going to be an exciting match-up. Just like Frazier helped to make Ali, the Cards will help seal the legacy of a legendary defense - I hope!

One thing that I am really proud about is the propensity and loyalty of Steelers fans. They are everywhere and you will see this today as every game the steelers play, no matter where, is a home game because so many loyal fans turn up - it transcends sports. When you watch the game, you will see what I mean.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2009, 2:45 pm 
Site Admin

That was John Candy.

Montana is head and shoulders above all the rest imo. No matter the pressure, he settled in and got the job done better than anyone else could do it. There's a pass to Rathman on 3rd and goal I think ins SB XXIV which is shown in slow mo in routine game time review. There's a fierce rush, an arm swinging through a hole in the line to swat the ball away. Rathman is crossing the goal line from right to left. Montana drops the ball through the hole, just off the tips of the fingers of the pass rush, laying it in just behind Rathman with just the touch on it that allows Rathman to make a routine 1-handed grab behind him, fold the ball in and blast across the goal line. I studied every game. The exemplary detail on almost every play was phenomenal. Best ever.

This game is going to be interesting. I'm getting excited.

mike

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2009, 12:25 pm 
Site Admin

Congrats to the Steelers and their fans, Larry!!! GREAT game! Like you said, last play of the first half was the difference. I think that was maybe Ben's best game ever. He made a lot of fantastic throws, including the last one, which in my book ranks with The Catch. Let's call that one Catch 3.

Now, a couple of minutes before, watching Fitzgerald go the other way was incredible. People say he's not that fast? Whew. He just ran away from everybody. They said Rice wasn't that fast either. But that's bull. It's how a guy runs under the conditions... and Fitzgerald is WAAAAAAAY fast.

That was a great conclusion to the season. Gotta say that will rank as one of my favorite Super Bowls ever. BIG DRAMA, RIGHT TO THE END. No losers in that one.

Another great sporting event took place Sunday. Rafael Nadal outlasted Roger Federer in yet another of the greatest tennis matches ever. Roger doesn't need to get to #14 to rank the best ever (but he will). The thing is, BOTH these guys are the best ever. Not just as players, but as people. Two great young men.

mike

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2009, 8:25 pm 

I'm glad that it was a good game and without a doubt, Arizona played well enough to win - the game had a lot of exciting twists and turns and plenty of big plays. I agree about Ben playing well and thought he was the MVP.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2009, 10:37 pm 
Site Admin

Santonio was there whenever he was needed; and that last catch was a feat of beauty. Hard to pick between the quarterback and the receiver on so many occasions. But I've seen the replay a few times, and the trajectory of that pass is utter precision. The whole play developed so much like the toss from Montana to Clark.

The other play which is so amazing to me is how fast Larry Fitzgerald left the Pittsburg secondary in the dust. I mean that guy is waaaaaaaaaaay fast. Awesome game. You'd like to see Arizona get their first Lombardi. Hope they get to do it again soon.

The Steelers were firing on all cylinders. That's about as good a game as you could play. Holmes had the touchdown on the play before, but I think stretching for the ball let it go through his hands. I wouldn't mind watching the whole thing over again tomorrow.

mike

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2009, 3:20 pm 

Thanks for clearing the John Candy thing up.

The last touchdown pass was Montana like in that he had to softly thread the needle with just the right amount of height and trajectory. It looked like a Montana "touch pass" classic.

They had a parade for the Steelers today, it was a hoaky event but the entire city showed up and and several of the players mentioned that no victory had ever been more difficult. Dr. Bradley, the Steelers doctor, said that after James Harrison returned the interception 100 yards for a touchdown that the medical staff was concerned. Harrison, had spent every bit of energy he had and was instantaneously out of air and dehydrated. His muscles began cramping and he was put on oxygen. What a great effort! You have to really feel good for him as he was cut by 4 teams, including the Steelers, before finding a spot on the team.

Jerry Rice's speed, or lack of, was legendary. I think it was one of the 49rs trainers or coaches who said that in the best spring training weather, with track shoes and shorts, and a perfect track surface, Jerry could only run a 4.7 40 yard dash. But, with 10 pounds of pads, a helmet and football in hand, Jerry did an easy 4.4.

Rod Woodson; a true 4.3 sprinter before his knee injury - (he almost made the Olympics), figured out how Rice played so fast. He said that if he ran downfield, he was easy to keep up with. But, he said that you could never see Rice shift gears, turn up the speed, or change direction - it just happened. Rice would not look back or change in any way, so you never knew if the ball was in the air, then in the last second, he was gone. He would time his burst to get under the ball while pulling away.

Now that's saying something about the power of acceleration over the power of speed - if Woodson respected his pull-away ability, you have to say he was very-very fast. Woodson also said that Rice could go from stop to flat out full speed in a step and half (an exaggeration I'm sure).

Rice was one of the few complete receivers to ever play the game. He could catch the hard third down pass in the middle of a crowded field, then the next play he would run like a gazelle down the field.

Larry

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2009, 4:26 pm 
Site Admin

I'm sort of majorly curious about these three wideouts that Arizona is fielding. Hines Ward is majorly tough. But these guys are majorly tough and big. The smallest, Breaston, seems to be the toughest (pound for pound maybe anyway). Boldin is fast. But wow. Steeler defensive players were discrediting Fitzgerald's speed before the game... and whoa is that guy faaaaaaaast.

Arizona has a few pieces to put together to be the prevailing contender. Pittsburgh has defensive tenacity every play. I think Arizona can get there with the current personnel. Offensively, I think they have to go a bit more aggressive on the play calling and get the running game rolling. It won't take a lot of tweaking to get there.

Meanwhile, Pittsburgh reached a new plateau. That game was some of the best we ever saw from that team; and Hines Ward, had he been healthy, I think would have played an even bigger role. Add Santonio to that mix... and I can see a huge offensive season next year. I like it. Not having a home team to root for is just fine. You get to ride with the better teams; and next year looks like it's going to be interesting.

I bet the parade today was just great.

mike

Profile E-mail